Commissioning is the formal and comprehensive process for work our company has been doing for over 35 years to ensure that successful HVAC operation results from skillful design and installation. We are able to provide an Owner a complete building commissioning project that is economical for all types and sizes of buildings, and the varied types of building systems included therein.
Our commissioning team includes professional engineers and field engineering technicians with extensive experience in operations and maintenance and building automation systems.
Neudorfer Engineers provides a collaborative approach to commissioning project management. Our staff coordinates labor & logistics with each project team to maintain each project’s deliverables. We apply this perspective to all commissioning activities, including leading commissioning meetings, performing design reviews for completeness and compliance with the OPR, codes, and design intent, writing commissioning plans & test forms, performing site visits to verify proper installations and equipment startups, executing functional performance testing, reviewing project closeout documentation, & assisting with Owner training
We lead the Commissioning efforts from project inception to project closeout to assure that the commissioned systems function together properly to meet the owner’s performance requirements and the design intent in a composite manner. Our team works closely with architects, engineers, general contractor, consultants, subcontractors, Owners representatives, building maintenance, & end users to ensure that commissioning processes & activities are integrated into construction schedules. Our team provides technical assistance to the design and construction teams to identify issues, evaluate solutions. We incorporate the cumulative knowledge of the project team into a coherent training and knowledge transfer process during the turnover period.
Neudorfer Engineers’ team is a resource for validating operating strategies. Our ability to understand design intent and convert that intent to a clear and effective operating strategy to provide the Owner with a quality product. NEI adheres to the requirements of NEBB Commissioning Procedures, which follows the ASHRAE Guideline 1 for the HVAC Commissioning Process. NEI assists in developing the commissioning specifications that detail specific requirements for commissioning. Through peer design reviews and submittal reviews, NEI ensures that the Owners Project Requirements (OPR) are incorporated into the design and installation.
Through installation verifications and functional testing, NEI assures that systems are fully functional and fine-tuned. Through building envelope commissioning, NEI assures that the project’s building envelope system adheres to Washington state energy code (WSEC), ASHRAE 0-2005, & the National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS) Guideline 3-2012 requirements. Commissioning of the building envelope assures that the exterior wall system is tight, allowing for optimal energy efficiency of the HVAC systems.
NEI provides assistance in the development of a facility management strategy that includes preventative/predictive maintenance programs, systems manuals, and continued training and assistance during the warranty period. NEI’s commissioning team assists with the compilation of the O&M manuals and System Manual for commissioned systems as required by LEED Enhanced Commissioning credit. NEI reviews contractors’ reports and training plans and incorporates them into the project Operations &Maintenance (O&M) and LEED Systems Manuals.
Neudorfer Engineers Inc. (NEI) technical commissioning is in accordance with Washington State Energy Code (WSEC), Seattle Energy Code (SEC), LEED Fundamental Cx:
- Writing the commissioning plan
- Review sequences of operations
- Writing the equipment checklists
- Writing the functional test procedures
- Develop the Cx Schedule for integration into the project schedule
- Inspecting the installed equipment prior to startup
- Assisting with equipment troubleshooting
- Performing the functional testing with assistance from the contractor
- TAB back check & review of contractor reports
- Controls calibrations back check & review of contractor reports
- Compiling and being responsible to resolve the deficiencies on the Issue Log
- Writing the final commissioning report
- Assist Owner Develop Owners Project Requirements (OPR)
- Perform design reviews at Design Documents & at 90% Construction Documents
- Review submittals of commissioned systems for OPR, design, & code compliance
- Develop the commissioning specification with Cx team roles, and responsibilities
- Review & troubleshoot contractor energy monitoring reports & BAS trend reports
- Review Training Agendas & Witness Training
- Verify completeness of O&M manuals and as-built drawings for inclusion into the LEED Systems Manual
- Monitoring-Based review of quarterly trend reviews (minimum) up to 1 year after substantial completion
- Lead the 10-Month Review & review Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs),
During the various design phases, plan review for various aspects of the design which affect
During the construction phase, perform field inspection to ensure the mechanical and electrical systems are installed correctly and are field tested per the design documents. These services include Commissioning Project Management, Factory Acceptance Testing, System Installation Inspections, Startup, Troubleshooting, Technical Commissioning, Scheduling, Training, FDA Validation, ISO Certification, and O&M manuals. Neudorfer Engineers is trained in current good manufacturing & laboratory processes (cGMP & cGLP).
NEI offers extended commissioning services in support of the operations and maintenance team responsible for the facility after substantial completion, as required to attain LEED Enhanced Monitoring-Based commissioning. NEI coordinates with contractors for quarterly site visits to review graphical trends stored within the Building Automation System (BAS). NEI utilizes the BAS trends and energy monitoring systems to troubleshoot systems. Any issues observed are tracked via the Commissioning issues log, and followed through to resolution. These services complement the basic commissioning effort and enhance the ability of the building maintenance team to provide a workplace environment that focuses on high indoor environmental quality.
NEI performs & leads 10-Month Reviews, as required by LEED Enhanced Commissioning credit. Prior to project substantial completion, NEI schedules the 10-Month Review and assigns responsibilities. NEI notifies the project team of the 10-Month Review requirements so that the team members will be prepared. NEI will provide an interview questionnaire to the Owner’s building manager at substantial completion and again 1 month prior to the 10-Month Review. This allows the team to discover problematic equipment/systems ahead of time, and if additional training and/or repairs are required.
Neudorfer Engineers Inc. (NEI) has commissioning, re-commissioning, & retro-commissioning experience in a wide array of systems:
- Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning
- Building Automation Systems (BAS)
- Industrial Control Systems (ICS)
- Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA)
- Energy Management Systems (EMS)
- Process Management Systems
- Chiller Central Plants
- Steam Boiler
- Clean Steam Generators
- Process Water
- Process Air
- Cold Rooms
- Laboratory & Medical Gas Piping Distribution
- Biosafety Cabinets & Fume Hoods
- Domestic Water
- Storm Water
- Electrical Distribution
- Emergency Power Generators
- Lighting Controls & Daylighting
- Fire Alarm
- Renewable Energy